Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Icebox Cake

Simple to make, yummy to eat and comforting to the core. I love icebox cake. I need icebox cake ... and I made icebox cake.

In between prepping for a hurricane, I decided to make the icebox cake. We needed something to soothe the nerves a little... and caloric comfort was it.

I grew up on icebox cakes, my mom whipped them out on almost every occasion. So, I was sort of surprised when people would ask me what it the heck is that white blob?

The white blob is one of the most delicious dessert there is - no baking required (and very little actually cooking needed).

Making the cake is simple... 3 ingredients.

1. Graham Crackers (Nabisco original graham crackers, highly recommended. you can taste the difference!)
2. Chocolate Pudding (you need the cook and serve variety)
3. Cool Whip

To make the cake, cook the pudding and let it cool slightly. Then on a plate or serving platter start the cake assembly.

Make a layer of graham crackers (I usually use 4 crackers per layer), then ladle on some pudding to cover the crackers. Repeat until you've used up all of the pudding. Make sure you end up with a layer graham crackers at the top.

Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Chill for 3-4 hours (longer if you wish).

When you're ready to serve, frost the cake with cool whip. Cut into pieces and enjoy!

No comments: